Welcome to Elkhart!
New to Elkhart? We’re excited to welcome you to Elkhart Community Schools! See the ECS Registration page for registration information.
School Delays and Closings
Visit our School Delays and Closings page for up-to-date information on delays and closings for ECS, and learn more about text alerts, delay guidelines for before school programs, and make-up dates.
ECS Elementary School Hours are 8:35am to 3:35pm (on Wednesdays, elementary students are dismissed at 2:55pm).
ECS Middle and High School Hours are 7:25am to 2:40pm (on Wednesdays, middle and high school students are dismissed at 2:00pm).
Roosevelt STEAM Academy hours are 8:00am to 3:00pm (on Wednesdays, Roosevelt students are dismissed at 2:15pm).
Elkhart Community Schools recognizes that good communication between the school and parents is critical to a child’s success. Our schools are ready to answer your questions or address any concerns you may have. For contact information for your child’s school, please see the Schools page.
We also recognize that when our offices are closed, you may still have questions about your child’s progress. PowerSchool is the Elkhart Community Schools’ online portal for all student information, including report cards, test scores, absences/tardies and monitoring lunch money balances. PowerSchool is used district-wide and updated in real time.
Elkhart Community Schools also uses School Messenger, a program that aids us in contacting parents with messages about school, including closings and delays. Parents are able to set their preferences to receive text alerts, emails and phone calls for a variety of subject matters through School Messenger. Access to your School Messenger account is done through PowerSchool’s Contact Manager.
Ways to communicate with the school and district:
- Contact your school through our Schools page
- Elkhart Community Schools Facebook page
- Elkhart Community Schools Twitter page
- Contact Elkhart Community Schools administration and educational services center
- Attend Board of School Trustees meetings
It is our goal to engage not only children in the educational process, but also parents and the community.
In the fall of 2015, Elkhart Community Schools embarked on the development of a strategic plan designed to guide the direction of the district from 2017-2022. Initial steps in the process included community meetings and surveys led by Ball State University, then the establishment of a focus group comprised of parents, staff members, and community members who presented the Board of School Trustees with recommendations. The Board established a series of community meetings over June-July 2016 to receive community input. Throughout the process, the Board has carefully considered the community feedback as they developed the strategic plan. The Board adopted the plan in October 2016.
Visit our Strategic Plan page to learn more: http://elkhart.k12.in.us/StrategicPlan
The Elkhart Difference: News from ECS
Pierre Moran student leaders empower others Throughout Pierre Moran Middle School, you will encounter students who are passionate and determined to make a difference in their school, community, and others' lives. These students are [...]
Noah Yoder, Elkhart Central High School As a senior getting ready to finish the first chapter of my life and move on to the next, I know what it is like to attend Elkhart [...]
Inside ECS- Jody Smith Jody Smith’s first experience with Elkhart Community Schools started in a Kindergarten class at Mary Beck Elementary School. Jody would spend the next 6 years as a Beck Baron, two [...]
Students Teaching Students To have a working knowledge of how an engine works is great, but being able to teach others is a learning experience in itself. Elkhart Area Career Center students get to [...]
Zach Wilfert, Tech Services We’ve all run into inevitable technology issues from time to time. In those moments of panic and frustration, support technician Zach Wilfert can mean a world of difference for the [...]
Aquatics Center brings exciting future for Elkhart students On Tuesday, February 14, the Elkhart Community Schools Board of School Trustees entered into an agreement with Beacon Health Systems and Community Foundation of Elkhart County [...]
Mary Daly Run Club & Daly Dash Last week, over 120 students took to the halls of Mary Daly. Students are traditionally told to not run in the hallways, but participants in the Mary [...]
Why Elkhart Community Schools
- Hands-on learning, beginning in Pre-K and kindergarten
- Largest agricultural program in the state of Indiana
- More AP and dual credit classes than any other school district in Elkhart County
- Award-winning Elkhart Area Career Center that features 28 programs and serves 16 neighboring school districts
- Highly awarded extra-curricular offerings, including a wide range of music programs, clubs and athletic teams, performing and fine arts
- Partnerships with leading higher education institutions, including University of Notre Dame, Indiana University South Bend, Ivy Tech Community College, Vincennes University, and IUPUI
- Partnerships with leading Elkhart businesses and non-profits, ensuring work study, internship, and volunteer opportunities for students
- Comprehensive support for students and families inside and outside the classroom