Sally Krumwiede, Student Services

I frequently get asked if I like working in the Student Services Department at Elkhart Community Schools. My answer is yes! Part of the draw to working in Student Services is that each day brings a new experience and many times, a new connection with an ECS student, parent, or guardian. The opportunity to work with the schools and get to know people throughout the community is really fun for me.

My background has always been customer service, from my early days at the downtown Elkhart Dairy Queen to customer service at Holiday Rambler, then a secretary at a brokerage firm, and now at Elkhart Community Schools. My first experience working at Elkhart Community Schools was a volunteer position at Mary Daly Elementary School when my daughter started kindergarten. Thanks to my positive experience as a parent volunteer, I decided to become a paraprofessional the following spring. My last position at Mary Daly was as the head secretary. My daughter is now 26 years old and I am still here at Elkhart Community Schools!

I made the jump from a 10 month position to a year round position at the administration building in March of 2013. I really like working with people, so Student Services is a good fit for me.  I work closely with school personnel in the buildings and I like to think my experience as an elementary school secretary is helpful when it comes to problem-solving. If you think of the services some of our parents and students receive, many of them have been generated from the Student Services Department: transfers, work permits, special education support and transportation, alternative education placements, and so much more!

I work for Tony England, assistant superintendent of student services, who oversees all of the services the district provides for our families and students. Parent calls are a big part of my job. Some calls are tougher than others, but generally, parents want someone to listen to their concerns and help find a solution. Our students and parents are a priority for us, we are eager to help.

Coming from the world of elementary, I was amazed at all the services we offer to our students and families; programs that make an amazing impact on ECS families. The Teenage Parent Program, Elkhart Academy, and PACE pre-school are just a few of the programs the district offers. The School Without Walls program – a program designed to help students graduate through online curriculum and in-person assistance – is one of the newer programs we offer, and we’re already seeing how this program changes the course of a person’s life for the better. Finding solutions and creatively meeting the needs of our students is one of the areas in which we really excel.

My job wouldn’t be nearly as much fun if it weren’t for the people I work with in Student Services on a daily basis. I work with an amazing group of smart, funny, and hard working staff.  Every day brings new challenges and questions. If we don’t know the answer, we will find it. We are able to help people and educate ourselves at the same time. I know when I walk in the door every morning, there will be laughter, the offer of help to someone overwhelmed at the moment, talk of family, books, shows and food… there always seems to be food!

If you ever have questions or are in need of assistance, please call, we look forward to meeting you!

Sally Krumwiede
Student Services Office Manager