Mary Daly Run Club & Daly Dash

Last week, over 120 students took to the halls of Mary Daly. Students are traditionally told to not run in the hallways, but participants in the Mary Daly Run Club experience something drastically different – running laps around the hallways of their school.

The Mary Daly Run Club is a popular club that begins each year in February and completes with the annual Daly Dash. Through the Run Club, students run twice a week for one hour – most average 2-3 miles, and some students top 4 miles each day. As with most afterschool programs, their advisors creatively weave academic elements into the program – students track measurements and distance, practice language arts skills through writing letters to potential sponsors, and design their official Daly Dash t-shirt. Students are required to maintain good grades and behavior to participate in the program.

“The Daly Run Club is a great opportunity for our school to come together as a community – teachers, parents, and students all participate,” says Mary Daly principal Josh Nice. “It’s a great way to encourage one another and spend time together in a positive activity for the mind and body.”

Many students participate in the Run Club every year at Mary Daly. “In Run Club, I learned to start slow and worked my way up to going faster. That’s how I became a better runner,” says sixth grade student Summer Kornrumph. “When we got to the Dash, I paced myself and my Dad helped me – telling me when to sprint – and that’s how I finished in 2nd place. This year I’m going to do the same thing after basketball season is over because I really like running. I am excited about the Dash.”

The culmination of the Mary Daly Run Club will come on Saturday, May 6 with the Daly Dash. The Daly Dash is a family-friendly walk/run event that includes a 1 mile walk and a 5k run, aimed at celebrating students’ success, as well as building a strong community connection. The Daly Dash is supported by many businesses who donate materials, food, drinks, promotional products, and time as volunteers. It is also supported by the generosity of parent and staff volunteers.

This year, the Daly Dash running course will be around the Mary Daly neighborhood (map course: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1096770830) and begins at 9:00am. The race will finish back at Mary Daly with a block party from 10:00am to 2:00pm, featuring bounce houses, food vendors, a DJ, and games. The school hopes the neighborhood, and anyone else interested in running or having a good time, will attend the Daly Dash. This is the 10th year for the Daly Dash.

The cost of the race is $20 for advanced registration (register by 4/1/17 to receive a t-shirt), $25 the day of the race, or $65 for a family of 4 or more. Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female in the following divisions: Grades K-6, Grades 7-8, Grades 9-12; Ages: 18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, 65 and over. Proceeds from the race go to the Mary Daly PTO.

If you are interested in volunteering or registering for the event, contact Lisa Regan at 574-295-4870 or email lregan@elkhart.k12.in.us.