Noah Yoder, Elkhart Central High School

As a senior getting ready to finish the first chapter of my life and move on to the next, I know what it is like to attend Elkhart Community Schools and live in a great city. As I reflect on my experience as an Elkhart student and community member, I am filled with pride and fond memories.

For the last four school years I have gotten up at 6:30 A.M., brewed a cup of coffee and headed out the door to Elkhart Central High School to start my first hour. I always began the day feeling lethargic; like I wouldn’t be able to learn anything. But, it seemed that day in and day out, my mindset would change as soon as I walked through the school’s double doors. That has little to do with me and a lot to do with the people that I interact with throughout the school day. From the inspiring words of my educators, all the way to the “fist bumps” from the custodial staff when I’m putting my tray away at lunch. As I move from one class to the next I get a chance to interact with friends that I have gotten to know like family throughout my 13 years in Elkhart Community Schools. Along with my family, they too, have been a huge part of my success because they have the same mindset; never waste a heartbeat.

I, like many other students, look forward to the opportunities that await me as a student of Elkhart Community Schools. Elkhart’s educators develop relationships that extend beyond the limits of the classroom. All of my teachers know something about my hobbies and are genuinely interested in how things are going. As a secondary student, my interactions with administrators throughout the school corporation have been similar. I often see them throughout the day and expect nothing less than a smile when I walk away from the conversation. They are all filled with an endless supply of school spirit that they are happy to shout into the world. They motivate me to keep trying, never give up, and be the best that I can be.

I have been offered many opportunities to integrate my talents and give back to the community I love. I participate in various service based clubs and have totaled near 500 hours of service over four years. These opportunities vary from organizing blood drives, canned food drives, and a unified track meet, to getting to personally work with individuals and students of neighboring schools. None of these opportunities would have been available to me if my family, teachers and administrators had not urged to me “find my niche”.

Elkhart Community Schools and the community of Elkhart helped shape me into the person that I am today. Elkhart Central and all of the schools that I have experienced along the way are incredible vessels for learning and inspiration. The last 13 years have flown by and have exceedingly prepared me for success in what lies before me; my future.

Noah Yoder
Senior, Elkhart Central High School