Inside ECS – Ed Hibshman, Elkhart Memorial

If you graduated from Elkhart Memorial between 1984 and 2016, there is a good chance you know Ed Hibshman. And if you attended Elkhart Memorial between 1976 and 1980, you may also have known him as a student!

Ed is a science teacher, and the science department chair, at Elkhart Memorial High School. Through his time at Elkhart Memorial, Ed has made a huge impact on the lives of students – including the development and coordination of the popular Colorado trip and the co-development with Heidi Krusenklaus of the summer Marine Biology trip – but also through his coaching experiences in track, football, volleyball, and little league, and sponsorship roles with ski club and chess club.

Ed reflects on his own upbringing in Elkhart, saying, “Growing up in Elkhart and going through the Elkhart educational system was a blessing for me. While my family with six children lived in poverty, and my older brothers lost their lives due to poor choices, I decided to take a different path by getting involved in school activities. My parents were very supportive of me, and I had many great teachers and coaches who made a difference along the way. I owe a tremendous amount of gratitude to my parents and Elkhart Community Schools – and I feel grateful that I’ve been able to give back to our students and our community by working in education.”

When he thinks about the impact of his work on students, he talks about students in his class and on his teams who likely would not have graduated had they not been involved in a sport or activity; he talks about student assistants who go on to successfully graduate from college – some of them even studying biology or genetics, a result of taking his classes; he also talks about students who have taken their friends and families to the same places as the Colorado and Marine Biology trips, something he finds touching.

For Ed, the most rewarding part of his job is simply the students. It makes him feel good when a student learns a new concept. It’s gratifying for him to see students grow with new experiences that help them mature and become responsible young adults.

Outside of the classroom, Ed enjoys playing touch football on Sundays (something he’s done since he was 12!), along with playing basketball and golfing. He also enjoys fishing, hunting, kayaking, and playing board and card games with his family and friends. Traveling, exploring new places, and reading old Western books are other things he finds relaxing.

We’re thankful for Ed and his commitment to students, Elkhart Memorial, Elkhart Community Schools, and the Elkhart community!

2017-03-08T16:11:04+00:00