Perspective- Maggie Lozano

Recently, I was presented with the opportunity to write my perspective on what it is like to work for Elkhart Community Schools. My initial thought was, “I don’t even know where to begin!” This thought came to mind not because I was unsure about what to say, but quite the opposite: there are so many great things to share that it was hard to select just a few to highlight.

I have been part of ECS for a little over a year, and in that short time I have seen and experienced firsthand what a great school district this is. As a parent of two school-age children my primary goal is to ensure that they get an excellent education, and as an outsider looking in (prior to my employment with ECS), I was always impressed by the wide-range of opportunities ECS has to offer. Little did I know that what I saw as an outsider was just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the many benefits of being part of ECS is it has provided me with the opportunity of witnessing firsthand the development and implementation of initiatives created for the sole purpose of providing students with the tools, resources, and support to make them successful. I have come to learn that Elkhart Community Schools is committed to delivering unparalleled opportunities to our students; for this is truly where their heart is.

My role at ECS is not nearly as exciting as others, but I find it most rewarding. It was not until I became part of the ECS family that I learned what a generous, caring, student, and family- oriented district Elkhart Community Schools is. My role in the Human Resources Department is one that brings me great satisfaction because we get the opportunity to serve our employees, who in turn impact the lives of our students in one way or another. We consider our students and employees our most valuable asset, as we could not do what we do if it was not for them. The stories I hear from employees as I meet with them for their initial paperwork supports what I have come to experience with Elkhart Community Schools, and that is: ECS is a place where one is treated with respect, kindness, and is made to feel welcomed.

Being able to touch the lives of so many, even in such a small way, and the certainty of knowing that Elkhart Community Schools is committed to our students and employees makes working at ECS worth it.

Maggie Lozano
Assistant Director of Human Resources