Student Spotlight: Lauren Midgley

Most professional authors can only hope to gain a following on their work. To have readers who follow their every move and written word is the ultimate dream. For one Elkhart Central junior, she has already achieved this.

Through the social media/reading-writing hybrid app “Wattpad”, consumers are able to read, write, and publish original works. With this app, 16-year-old, Lauren Midgley has amassed a following of around 10,800 readers on her most popular short story “Lynch’s Little Secret” with her other stories averaging around 5,000 readers.

“It’s a crazy feeling to know there are almost 11,000 people who have seen a little short story I wrote,” said Midgley. “I honestly didn’t think I’d make it to that much.”

In her most popular short story, Midgley tells the story of a teenage girl who is bullied, but is afraid to tell her siblings, comprised of the famous band, R5. This genre is commonly referred to as fanfiction, stories involving popular fictional characters that are written by fans and often posted on the Internet, according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary.

“I mostly read and write fanfiction,” said Midgley. ‘I love how you can just let your creative ideas flow. I have been writing pretty much my whole life. I just loved the way I could escape the world through writing. On February 14, 2018, it will have been two years since I joined Wattpad.”

What started as a an enjoyable hobby, has turned into a great journey—ideas, experience, and even social ties expanding past the average high schoolers reach, the app serving as a global connection.

“I’ve made two friends because I read their books and commented on them because they were about  people I loved,” said Midgley. “My first friend is Kylie. We share a love for one of our favorite band members. She lives in the Countryside of New York (state). My other friend is Philippa (Pippa) and we share a love for many different fictional characters. She lives in Ireland! That just shows that this is worldwide and incredible.”

“Words are all around us. Writing is a way to be able to express ourselves and to let whatever crazy ideas we have that may have been rejected or squelched by others, be let free. You never know, others might enjoy it!” said Midgley.

Lauren is currently reading: “Together” a Henry Turner (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales) story, by fellow Wattpad user, @bella_parrilla.

To view Lauren’s books, you can find her on Wattpad at @lmmonkey119.

2017-10-31T08:52:46+00:00