Tracy Kirts, Employee of the Year (Secondary)

Why did you choose to work in education/at a school?

I have always enjoyed working with people/kids/students, of any age.   Being a mother of two school children, it allowed me to go to their sporting events, field trips and have the same breaks.

What brought you to Elkhart Community Schools?

I was the scanning coordinator at Martins Supermarkets (16.5 years of employment) and I needed to find something that was more compatible to our children’s schedules.  It was a natural fit.  I love what I do.

How long have you worked at ECS? Your school?

Finishing up my 18th year at EACC.

Any touching work-related stories you’d like to share?

When I helped a student read/write to pass the read portion of the ISTEP.  He thanked me and gave me a magnet that says, “The art of being kind is all the world needs.”  That magnet has been on my white board every since he gave it to me.  A daily reminder that we as educators can/do make a difference in students lives daily.

We talk about our students finding their passions – what are your passions?

I love to cook, walk the dogs, work with students, and time with my family.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

Cooking out, going to ND Girls Basketball Games – Go Irish!!,  Watching my husband boat race in the US Title Series – Pro Racing Series during the summer months and working out in the yard.

We have a strong focus on literacy at the district – what are you currently reading?

I love to cook and I read/research new recipes often.

2018-05-31T14:44:21+00:00