Giving Back

November and the beginning of December, students at Monger Elementary worked together to fill Salvation Army baskets.

“I think it’s important to give back because these small gestures of giving back can make a huge difference in someone’s life,” said Jessica Moreno, Monger teacher. “A lot of us take for granted what we have and for some, even the basic necessities aren’t available to them. I’d hope if my family ever found ourselves in the position of need that someone would be willing to help.”

Moreno encouraged her students to participate by bringing personal care items for the baskets. She reached out to the other teachers and encouraged their classes to do the same.

Each basket contained laundry detergent, dishcloths/towels, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, feminine hygiene products, first aid products, bathroom cleaner, bleach, dish soap, paper towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, bath soap, deodorant, and vinegar. Students colored pictures and wrote letters to accompany the baskets.

I think it’s important to give back to the community to show them that we care,” said fifth grader Gloria Regalado Santos. “It feels great to know that others will have the materials they need.”

Her classmate Cinthya Anzures agrees. “It’s important to give back because some might not have what we have and need a little help,” said Anzures. “It makes me feel good and helpful.”

“The students are so proud of being able to donate to this cause,” said Moreno. “They know they are doing good for their community.”

2018-12-20T16:30:43+00:00