Weather Make-Up Days
List of Make-Up Days for Weather-Related Closures to date (as of February 21, 2019)
- Friday, February 15, 2019 (make-up date for Wednesday, January 23, 2019)
- Monday, March 18, 2019 (make-up date for Tuesday, January 29, 2019)
- Friday, April 19, 2019 (make-up date for Wednesday, January 30, 2019)
- Friday, May 24, 2019 (make-up date for Thursday, January 31, 2019)
- Thursday, June 6, 2019 (make-up date for Tuesday, February 12, 2019)
Why do schools have to “make up” days? We never did as kids.
The Indiana Department of Education mandates that each school shall conduct at least 180 student instructional days (IC 20-30-2-3). For a day to be counted as a full day, Grades 1-6 must receive at least 5 hours of instructional time, and Grades 7-12 must receive at least 6 hours of instructional time. If a school district is not in session for 180 days, the IDOE will decrease funding to the district the following August.
What about waivers?
The Indiana Department of Education will consider offering waivers to a school district in case of extraordinary circumstances and ONLY if the school has already planned for and used five make-up days. After five days are used, and only in extraordinary circumstances, can a school district apply for a waiver for lost days. ECS makes every attempt to plan for five make-up days.