Click here for a list of FREE WIFI LOCATIONS IN ELKHART COUNTY
1:1 Technology at Elkhart Community Schools
Fall 2019 Information
During 2019-2020 school year Elkhart Community Schools will hit a major milestone! This year every student enrolled will receive an iPad to use as an educational tool. Most students will receive their iPads during the first few weeks of school with our final three elementary schools receiving their iPads in January.
- Secondary Students
All secondary students at Elkhart Community Schools will have an iPad for educational use. Returning high School students can pick up their iPads from their schools during ID pick up days. Middle school students will receive their iPads during the first few days of school. Freshmen will receive iPads during the first two days of schools.
- Elementary Students
All elementary students will be receiving an iPad during the 2019-2020 school year. Beardsley, Beck, Bristol, Eastwood, Feeser, Hawthorne, Monger, Pinewood, Riverview and Woodland students will all receive their iPads in August. Daly, Osolo and Roosevelt students will receive their iPads in January 2020.1:1
- Please note the enrollment deadline for the 2019-2020 school year for all secondary students September 24, 2019.
- New Transfers will be able to purchase insurance when they receive their device
- As is the case with any material (e.g. books, etc.) provided to a student during the school year, the student and the student’s family are responsible for damage to the iPad not covered by Apple Care+ and would be expected to reimburse the district should the iPad be irreparable or lost. The district is offering insurance for stolen iPads through a third party, Worth Insurance. Insurance with Worth Ave Group is recommended to protect student iPads against theft. The insurance policies provide replacement cost coverage and protects the device both on and off school grounds. Insurance is not mandatory, but those who opt out take 100% responsibility for all replacement costs. The insurance for theft through Worth Ave Group is $14 for the year. The cost for for a lost or stolen iPad without insurance will be $325. The link to purchase iPad insurance for the 2019-2020 school year is: For Middle School please go to this link to purchase insurance https://gpo.worthavegroup.com/gpo/elkhartcs/
- Parent Take-Home Letter/Acknowledgement
The 1:1 Technology Program
Learning in a 1:1 environment with iPads creates opportunities that would not be possible without technology. In order for students to have productive and enjoyable lives, they must develop up-to-date knowledge and skills required by employers in the 21st century. Students must increasingly collaborate with others, communicate effectively, think critically, and be creative in solving problems or completing tasks.
Students can use the iPads to discover so much about the world through investigations because of the access to sources reaching far outside the walls of Elkhart Community Schools. Putting these devices into the hands of students allows them to access a world filled with information and opinions far different from those directly surrounding them.
Teaching and Learning Goals
Maximize student collaboration and cooperative learning
Increase engaging, rigorous student-centered learning experiences
Teach students 21st century literacy skills
Provide equitable, anytime access
Develop competent and responsible future-ready citizens
Prepare for success in future college, career, and life pursuits
Learn more about the program – This video was created from the content shared at the parent informational meetings held at both high schools on May 3 and May 9 2018.
1:1 Parent Information Handout
1:1 Parent Frequently Asked Questions – have a question about the iPads and classroom technology? Start here!
Acceptable Use Policy: – Know the rules and responsibilities for using technology in the district
- Meet the iPad: Apple / iPads in Education
- Wifi options for home: https://www.internetessentials.com/