School Delays and Closings
- Current Delay/Closing Status: There are no current closings or delays.
- Elkhart Community Schools has six days built into the 2016-2017 as make-up days, to be used if there is a school cancellation: February 2, February 17, March 24, April 14, May 30, and May 31.
- For the weather-related school closing on December 12, 2016: School will be in session on April 14, 2017.
Weather Delays and Closings
Elkhart Community Schools takes the decision to close school very seriously. When facing the possibility of a weather-related closure, our administrators not only rely on the expertise of local meteorologists and government officials, but we also go out into the weather ourselves and consult with other area school administrators. ECS administrators and transportation staff drive around Elkhart and Bristol very early in the morning when weather conditions are questionable, evaluating road conditions for students who ride buses and monitoring weather conditions with consideration for our students who walk. We strive to make a final determination on school delays and closings by 5:30am, but we continuously monitor weather conditions and may make a determination to close later if needed.
If your child does not have appropriate clothing for walking to school or waiting for the bus, please contact your school. All ECS schools have access to warm, winter clothing for children who need it. All ECS schools have a one-mile walk zone.
ECS has five make-up days in our official 2016-2017 calendar: February 17, March 24, April 14, May 30 and May 31 (these days are currently scheduled as “no school” – if a closing is needed, school will be in session on one or more of these days). The Indiana Department of Education mandates that each school shall conduct at least 180 student instructional days (IC 20-30-2-3). If ECS exceeds five days of school closings, additional days will be added to the end of the school calendar.
As a parent, you have the right to keep your child home if you believe his or her safety is at risk. If you choose to do so, notify your school as early as possible and it will be considered an excused absence.
Weather Delays/Closings: Communication
ECS will announce delays and closings in the following ways:
- Local media (TV and radio stations, as listed below) – will notify immediately
- School Closings and Delays page on ECS website (top of this page) – will post information immediately
- Official ECS Facebook page – will post information immediately
- Official ECS Twitter page – will post information immediately
- Text (see information below to sign up for texts) – will begin texting at 5:45am
- Call – will begin calling at 5:45am
- Email – will begin sending at 5:45am
Weather Delays/Closings: Television & Radio Stations
The following radio and television stations are notified by Elkhart Community Schools in the case of a school delay or closing:
- WBND (TV: Channel 57)
- WNDU (TV: Channel 16; Radio: 92.9 FM, 97.7 FM, 1490 AM, 1620 AM)
- WSBT (TV: Channel 22; Radio: 94.3 FM, 99.9 FM, 101.5 FM, 960 AM)
Weather Delays/Closings: Text Alerts
Elkhart Community Schools now offers text alerts and phone calls to notify you in the event of a school closing or delay. To sign up for our text alerts, sign in to PowerSchool to verify your contact information through the Contact Manager menu (will prompt you to Launch School Messenger, then view the Contacts tab). If information needs to be updated, contact your child’s school. Once your contact information is updated in the Contact Manager, you will be able to select contact preferences and opt in to receive texts (this will prompt a text from School Messenger – please be sure to respond with “yes” to opt in). All phone numbers in PowerSchool/School Messenger are currently set up to receive an automated phone call notification of a delay/closing, unless you specifically opt out.
Weather Delays/Closings: Before School Care Programs
The following guidelines have been set by our partners for Before School Care Programs:
- KidsCare programs (all elementary schools, excluding Beardsley, Bristol, and Osolo): In the case of a two-hour school delay, KidsCare will open at its normal time. In the case of a school closing, KidsCare will be closed. If a delay becomes a closing, KidsCare will close as quickly as possible and parents are expected to pick their children up as soon as possible.
- Elementary Boys and Girls Clubs (Beardsley and Osolo): In the case of a two-hour school delay, Boys and Girls Club will open at its normal time. In the case of a school closing, Boys and Girls Club will be closed. If a delay becomes a closing, Boys and Girls Club will close as quickly as possible and parents are expected to pick their children up as soon as possible.
- Growing Kids students (Bristol): Growing Kids will remain open during all school delays and closings, unless a Weather Emergency is issued. Growing Kids will also accept children who do not regularly attend before/after care at Bristol, as long as a sibling is enrolled in a program at Bristol (i.e. preschool or daycare) and/or if parents have made arrangements with Growing Kids in advance.
Weather Delays/Closings: Head Start Programs
The following guidelines have been set by Head Start. These apply to Head Start programs housed at Elkhart Community Schools locations:
- If there is a 2-hour delay, Head Start AM programs will be cancelled. Head Start PM programs will proceed as normally scheduled.
- If there is a school closing, Head Start AM and Head Start PM programs will be cancelled.
- Please contact Head Start for programs housed in locations other than Elkhart Community Schools.