Student Records and Transcripts
- A student’s records are maintained in the building where he/she attends. The records of students in grades K – 8 who have left the school system are transferred and maintained in the Student Services Department, located at the J. C. Rice Educational Services Center, 2720 California Road. Copies of these records are made available to the school/school system where the student currently attends and, with parent authorization, to others requesting records.
- The records of high school students who have graduated, transferred to another school system, or withdrawn from school are maintained at the high school for five years following the graduation date or date the student would have graduated. These records are then transferred to the Student Services Department where they are microfilmed and maintained.
- Requests for transcripts and other permanent records are processed by the registrar at the student’s high school (for students in high school and for five years following the date when the student graduated or would have graduated) or by the district’s registrar in the Student Services Department (for all others).
- A fee of up to $2, payable in advance, may be charged for providing copies of records. It is important to plan ahead when requesting transfers, since records need to be retrieved and there is sometimes a one or two day delay before the transcript is available.
- For students currently in high school, the best way to obtain a transcript is to make the request directly with the building’s registrar.
- For those no longer in high school, but who were enrolled within the previous five years, the best way to obtain a transcript is to send a written request, along with a check or money order, payable to Elkhart Community Schools, in the amount of $2. It is important to include the complete legal name under which the student was enrolled and to note the year of graduation or withdrawal. For former Central students, direct the request to: Registrar, Elkhart Central High School, 1 Blazer Boulevard, Elkhart, IN 46516. For former Memorial students, direct the request to: Registrar, Elkhart Memorial High School, 2608 California Road, Elkhart, IN 46514.
- For current non-high school students and for those who graduated or withdrew more than five years ago, the best way to obtain a transcript is to send a written request, along with a check or money order, payable to Elkhart Community Schools, in the amount of $2. The request should be directed to: Registrar, Elkhart Community Schools, J.C. Rice Educational Services Center, 2720 California Road, Elkhart, IN 46514. Requests may also be made in person; however, there is generally a delay of one or two days before the transcript is ready for pick-up or mailing. Phone requests may be also be made (574/262-5541); however, the $2 fee must be received prior to pick-up or mailing of the transcript.