The Elkhart Community
The City of Elkhart is a culturally-rich community of 50,000 people. Within Elkhart, you will find:
- A recently renovated downtown area, showing the commitment of government and business leaders to the successful growth of the community.
- Museums that highlight Midwest American Art, Railroad History, the RV/Motorhome Industry, and three museums highlighting Elkhart history.
- The recently renovated and expanded Lerner Theatre used for a wide range of concerts, performing arts, educational programs and special events.
- Wellfield Botanic Gardens, a unique downtown attraction where guests can relax, rejuvenate and reconnect in an expansive garden environment, an outdoor public art gallery and a freshwater setting that captivates and inspires.
- The Woodlawn Nature Center, a natural history museum and activity center that features exhibits and programs for all ages, as well as walking trails on their 10-acre property.
- Over 30 parks and facilities, including a skateboard park, ice skating park, water parks, splash pads, tennis courts, swimming pools, walking/running laps, playground equipment and active summer softball leagues. Many Elkhart parks offer classes, including dancing and fitness. Each summer, McNaughton Park hosts free, weekly outdoor concerts by the Elkhart Municipal Band.
- Festivals and events, such as the world-renowned Elkhart Jazz Festival, ArtWalk, Taste of the Gardens, Rhapsody in Green, and the Elkhart Air Show.
- We are also very proud to call the town of Bristol home to our Bristol Elementary School! Bristol’s small town charm can be felt along the downtown area, which includes the Elkhart County Historical Museum and the Elkhart Civic Theatre (housed at the historic Bristol Opera House). Just outside of town, Bristol offers canoe trips, great riverside parks, and the historic Bonneyville Mill Park.
- Elkhart Community Schools works with many of these community partners to advance the education and cultural awareness of our students. We are proud and thankful to belong to a community that so generously embraces our schools and children.
For additional information about Elkhart, please visit the City of Elkhart website, Downtown Elkhart website, the Elkhart County Convention and Visitors Bureau website and the Greater Elkhart Chamber of Commerce website.
Thanks to Downtown Elkhart, the Elkhart County Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Elkhart Truth for supplying photos of our community.