Dual Credit is the term given to courses in which high school students have the opportunity to earn both high school and college credits simultaneously. Dual credit courses are taught by high school faculty, adjunct college faculty or college faculty either at the high school, at the college or sometimes through online courses or distance education. Benefits of Dual credit include:
- This is one of several options by which a high school student may fulfill requirements for the Core 40 with Academic Honors or Technical Honors diploma by receiving college credits from a regionally accredited institution which still in high school.
- Studies show that dual credit increases the likelihood that a student will complete high school, as well as enroll in and continue in college.
- Decreases cost of tuition and fees for students by completing up to a year or more of college credit.
- Our General Education credits are guaranteed to transfer to any Indiana public college or university.
- Access to Ivy Tech’s student resources, such as Library, Tutoring, Career Exploration and much more.
Classes available include:
IVY TECH COURSES OFFERED AT ELKHART COMMUNITY SCHOOL FOR NO COST!
|ENGL 111-3||ENGL 112-3||ENGL 206-3||COMM 101-3|
|MATH 136-3||MATH 137-3||MATH 211-4||MATH 212-4||MATH 135-3|
|HIST 101-3||HIST 102-3||POLS 101-3||SOCI 111-3|
|CHEM 101-3||CHEM 105-5||BIOL 101-3||BIOL 105-5||APHY 101-3|
|PHYS 101-4||PHYS 102-4|
|SPAN 101-4||SPAN 102-4||SPAN 201-3||SPAN 202-3|
|FREN 101-4||FREN 102-4||FREN 201-3||FREN 202-3|
IUSB COURSES OFFERED FOR $25 PER CREDIT HOUR
|COLL-P155 – 3|
|HIST-H105 – 3||HIST-H106 – 3|
ELKHART COMMUNITY SCHOOLS AND IVY TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE OFFER STATEWIDE TRANSFER GENERAL EDUCATION CORE
Students in Elkhart have the opportunity to earn a Certificate worth 30 college credits from Ivy Tech Community College. This is worth 1 year of college and is guaranteed to transfer to any Public University in Indiana meeting all the General Education requirements for a 4-year degree.
Students must earn a total of 30 credits from each of the following areas:
- Written Communication: 3 credits
- ENGL 111 – 3 credits
- Speaking and Listening: 3 – 6 credits
- COMM 101 – 3 credits
- Quantitative Reasoning: 3 – 9 credits
- MATH 136 – 3 credits
- MATH 137 – 3 credits
- MATH 135 – 3 credits
- MATH 211 – 4 credits
- MATH 212 – 4 credits
- Scientific Ways of Knowing: 3 – 10 credits
- BIOL 101 – 3 credits
- CHEM 101 – 3 credits
- CHEM 105 – 5 credits
- PHYS 101 – 4 credits
- PHYS 102 – 4 credits
- BIOL 105 – 5 credits
- Social and Behavioral Ways of Knowing: 3 – 9 credits
- HIST 101 – 3 credits
- HIST 102 – 3 credits
- POLS 101 – 3 credits
- SOCI 111 – 3 credits
- Humanistic and Artistic Ways of Knowing: 3 – 10 credits
- ENGL 206 – 3 credits
- FREN 101/102 – 4/4 credits
- FREN 201/202 – 3/3 credits
- SPAN 101/102 – 4/4 credits
- SPAN 201/202 – 3/3 credits
STEP 1 – Sign up for Dual Credit courses with your Counselor during scheduling.
STEP 2 – Obtain an Ivy Tech C# by completing an online application
Complete the online application with the following information handy:
- Social Security Number or DACA Number
If you do not have either of these, please see a member of the dual credit team
- Current email address
- Parent’s contact information
When you reach the end of the application – you must click on “SUBMIT”
STEP 3 – Depending on the dual credit class you are enrolled in, you must meet specific standards in reading, writing and math. These standards are based on scores from the following tests you may have already taken:
Our team will review your scores and if necessary, you may be asked to take the Accuplacer test to qualify for your dual credit course. We give this test at no cost to you at your high school.
STEP 4 – After you have completed steps 1 and 2 all you need to do is pass your dual credit course by maintaining a “C” or better in the class.
DUAL CREDIT TEAM
Early College/Dual Credit Supervisor
Elkhart Community Schools
Phone: 574-295-4880 (M-W-F)
Phone: 574-262-5647 (T-TH)
Early College/Dual Credit Data Specialist
Elkhart Community Schools
Phone: 574-262-5647 (M-W-F)
Phone: 574-295-4880 (T-TH)
Early College Counselor
Elkhart High School West