- Any confirmed positive COVID-19 case should be reported to the ECS COVID-19 reporting email or phone number. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org and the phone number is 574-262-5999. The district is committed to keeping personal information confidential.
- All in-district contact tracing is completed by the district to ensure it is completed as quickly as possible. Close contacts identified through school buildings, buses, and activities, will be contacted by the district.
- ECS is required to report all positive COVID-19 cases, as well as close contacts, to the Indiana State Department of Health through their reporting system. The ISDH will complete additional contact tracing.
- Any individual (student/staff) who is awaiting results from a COVID-19 test, regardless of the reason for testing, should not come to any school building until they receive negative test results.
- If you are the parent/guardian if a student who is awaiting test results, please contact your child’s building. Phone numbers for all buildings can be found here: List of ECS Schools
- If you are an ECS employee who is awaiting test results, do not come to work. Contact Human Resources (574-262-5536) as soon as possible.
When to Quarantine
- Please see the following guidelines from the Indiana State Department of Health: When to Quarantine / Cuándo estar en Cuarentena (Spanish)
- Elkhart Community Schools follows all ISDH guidelines and will require an individual to quarantine based on this information.
When to Isolate
- Please see the following guidelines from the Indiana State Department of Health: When to Isolate
- Elkhart Community Schools follows all ISDH guidelines and will require an individual to isolate based on this information.
How will I know if I (staff) or my child (student) is a “close contact”?
- Any staff member who is reported as a close contact will be called by Human Resources.
- A parent or guardian of a student who is reported as a close contact will be called by Student Services.
- It is critically important that if you receive a message from Human Resources (staff) or Student Services (student), you return the call as soon as possible. Human Resources can be reached at 574-262-5536 and Student Services can be reached at 574-262-5540. Translators are available for both phone lines.
When can my child return to school?
- Elkhart Community Schools has created a “Return to School” protocol chart for students: Return to School Flowchart (Spanish)
- Please find your applicable situation (symptomatic, tested positive, identified as a close contact – including household members) and follow the chart.
- Your child should not come to school if the child, or any individual in the household, is symptomatic or awaiting results from a COVID-19 test.
When can I return to work (ECS employees)?
- Elkhart Community Schools has created a “Return to Work” protocol chart for employees: Return to Work Flowchart.
- Please find your applicable situation (symptomatic, tested positive, identified as a close contact, symptomatic household members) and follow the chart.
- Any ECS employee who has symptoms of COVID-19 should not come to work and should contact Human Resources (574-262-5536) as soon as possible.
- If an employee has been tested for any reason and is awaiting results, he or she should not come to work and should contact Human Resources (574-262-5536) as soon as possible.
- ECS employees awaiting test results may be eligible for paid emergency benefit time, which will not use time from the following benefit areas: person illness, family illness, personal business, vacation. This benefit is specifically for COVID-19 related absences. If you are unsure if you qualify, please contact the Human Resources Department.